Ulysses, a tool for writers with deadlines
When I started looking for tools to write, I had several goals in mind but my priority was :
Get rid of the frustration that comes with sluggish all-in-one software, yes Word, I’m looking at you !
- Publish easily (for various channels)
- Gather all my writing in one place
I tried Notion and I kept it as an organizational tool but not for my writing.
Then, I discovered Ulysses and 🤩.
It’s not cheap — not cheap at all ! But it does the job.
The main things I liked about the writing experience using Ulysses are :
- my content library is always at hand’s reach, so I can quickly revisit past posts
- The editor is fantastic
- The built-in counters help me shape/edit quickly (words, read length)
- The publishing / export feature saved me a ton of time
I tried getting rid of it when I saw the built-in editors in various web apps that now support markdown.
They all are much better than 2 years ago.
But I still come back to it mainly because :
- I like being able to write offline (it helps me block distractions)
- I still write rough ideas on my phone (it syncs everything)
- I need to be sure that all my content is safe (local backups)